About Acrostic Only

Introduction | AO's Workshop | Prompts Information
Submitting Poems | Judging Poems | AO Awards
AO Judges | Poet Of The Year Drawing


This is a must visit site (click COMMON ERRORS IN ENGLISH ) for serious Acrostic Poets writing in English. I found it to be very interesting!



Friendship

Posted by Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) on Saturday, April 4, 2009 | Leave a Reply

Fused souls
Revealing
Intimate thoughts
Enduring the
Negatives
Devoted friends
Steadfastly
Helping each other
In times of
Peril

[ Written by Amias Suggested by Maggie at Southern Women With Backbones ]

...................
Write an acrostic poem about [ FRIENDSHIP ] and link it here. Don't forget to click on the other links and enjoy their wonderful acrostics! You know the old saying, if you comment, you will receive comments. Thank you for joining the fun!

26 Responses to
“Friendship”

  • Winnie the poohi says: April 4, 2009 at 5:23 PM

    Ah Jane! A very very simple try this time!

    May be will attempt again tomorrow!

    Are you doing the NaPoWriMo ?

    I am having fun with it :D

  • Winnie the poohi says: April 4, 2009 at 5:23 PM

    Ah as usual your poem is wonderful!

    Indeed friends see the best and the worst of us!

  • Amias says: April 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM

    Thanks Winnie.

    I must make one correction in my name .. my email address is Jane Doe, but my name is Amias.

  • Thinking Aloud says: April 5, 2009 at 10:08 AM

    I love the depth of your acrostic poems. I have seen teachers attempt this in schools and have always thought they were to simple and lacked much. You have opened my eyes to the beauty of it. I am going to share "Friendship" with my students and challenge them to write some fantastic and thought provoking acrostics. Heck, I will try one too!

  • Pretty Me!! says: April 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

    Sweet, true, beautiful, really cool :)

  • Maggie says: April 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM

    I do so like your acrostic on friendship...it is captured well by your pen as well as the heart guiding it.

  • Nave says: April 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

    :) How beautifully put in how less words!! Very well indeed :)

  • "THE BARD WHO DOESNT HAVE TO TRY TOO HARD" says: April 6, 2009 at 1:32 AM

    Very interesting views..hope everyone can be blessed with tis gift in their lives!!

    Incase anyone is keen,they can chk my ode on the same topic written quie a long time back :)
    http://musingsofthebardofmumbai.blogspot.com/2008/08/ode-to-friendship.html

  • Jeeves says: April 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM

    Oh wow!!!Everytime I read your posts, there are so many emotions. Acrostic is difficult. Nice one

  • Amias says: April 6, 2009 at 3:22 AM

    Thanks Thinking Aloud, I am indeed honored.

    You make me smile Pretty Me!!!.

    Oh Maggie, you are very sweet indeed. Thank you.

    Thanks The Bard ... I hope so too. I will check out the link.

    Ahhh Jeeves, you make me blush. Yes, it's hard work, but so rewarding. I am not perfect, but they are so much fun. The less words the better.

  • SandyCarlson says: April 6, 2009 at 4:14 AM

    Well done. I sometimes think "enduring the negatives" in ourselves and each other is the truest test of friendship.

  • Amias says: April 6, 2009 at 7:51 AM

    You are so right Sandy .. because many negatives, if not endured, will kill a good friendship.

  • Leo says: April 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

    amias,

    glad that u liked my attempted acrostic, though i had no idea of acrostic having a rule as u mentioned.

    when the inspiration hits, the flow is something i find difficult to stop. however, i am going to try again keeping the non breaking of the word in mind and the lesser words as well. will post it again within the week, and link it here.

    u mentioned u being inspired by input from us, i am happy to hear that too. will do my best to do it right. i am still learning and will take in ur input in the right sense.

    thank u!

  • Amias says: April 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM

    You know Leo, in life there is so little joy with all the negative things happening around the world .. but I find it so wonderfully hopeful, when young folks step up to the plate, and share the beauty of life in all its poetic glory ... It pleases me to be around such energy, old as I am, I so need it.

    Although acrostics have rules, one can have fun within those limitations. But there is so much energy and talent in this group of participants, I can see where one can run wild ... as I so enjoy reading it all, believe me.

    But click on the side bar, as I left a little information there on acrostics, and different types.

    I thank you dear one for communicating with me, and I am indeed honored.

  • Leo says: April 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.
  • Leo says: April 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM

    firstly, please dont thank me for communicating with u. it is an honor doing it.

    i clicked on the wikipedia link in the sidebar so i can find out more of an acrostic style, but i couldn't find the syllable splitting rule there. also, i found an acrostic by lewis carroll which splits the word randomly like i have done with my friendship poem. even older poems i found that were not having any syllable splitting. in the last link that is there in the sidebar also, i found no information related to syllable or lesser words.

    i respect your opinion about it, and if it is necessary that it should be in the sense that u have mentioned at my blog, it will be an honor to try that way too. i am trying it at this moment too!

    thank u! :) for helping me out amias. it is a great pleasure to write and share my work here.

  • Amias says: April 7, 2009 at 12:57 AM

    Leo ..

    Yes, I did say there are no right or wrong way of doing an acrostic, as it relates to free styles, rhyming, or even breaking the words up in syllables. However, the acrostic itself have to keep to the subject, whether metaphorically or literally, which I find most of you do .. and very poetically.

    I do the syllables things for myself, as a way of personalizing some of my long acrostics and/or words. It's not necessary. However if one is to break the word up, would it not be better to do it via the syllables? Breaking a word up in the wrong place makes the acrostic part of it confusing. Indeed, this is my personal opinion, only.

    Believe me, I don't go by all the rules that are out there, as they change based on individual and how they define acrostics. However, I stick to the principle of the art, so that I may call what I attempt to write, an acrostic.

    I do know an acrostic is a poem about conveying your meaning in as few words as possible. This rule is not always followed, and I am guilty of it to. Where the creativity flow, I go. I don't discourage it, unless the lines or too long ... even then, it's the poet's choice as it is their poem.

    It matters not how one write their acrostics, I enjoy all poetic rendering of any acrostic however it is written.

    But on the contest phase of my blog, I would like the acrostics written by a few basic rules. I don't subscribe to all of rules of acrostics written before my time, but the ones I am subscribing to is how all poems submitted to the Acrostic Contest will be judged.

    Believe me, I don't proclaim to know everything about acrostic poetry, I just like to write it .. and I do it on my terms. I encourage all to do the same. But if we are to call it a true acrostic we need to adhere to some of the basic rules ... and that is, the poem itself must at least stick to the subject of the prompt.

    I am indeed not a conformist, in the extent in which one must do as the ones before them did, as it relates to poetry. Poetry change with each generation. I like being master of my own styles, even if it's mean creating one from the remnants of others. I believe that is call creativity, and creativity in my humble opinion is evolution.

    BTW: Communication, like poetry is an art form, and when one does it in that manner, I will always say thank you --- because it is an honor to communicate with so many young professionals and/or college students around the world. Of course I am honored and thankful. Indeed, I am blessed!

  • sudharm baxi says: April 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM

    First timer..

    A modest attempt at-
    FRIENDSHIP

    Your piece was pretty good..

  • sudharm baxi says: April 7, 2009 at 3:05 AM

    Amias,

    Congratulations for the fantastic site you have maintained, following you from today onwards..

  • Amias says: April 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM

    Welcome Sudharm Baxi .. thanks for joining the fun!

  • Tan says: April 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM

    Nice little poem, Amias ... hard words ... loved it :)

  • Amias says: April 7, 2009 at 2:43 PM

    Thanks Tan ... yes, it is a little one. ;-)

  • rdl says: April 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM

    Nice sentiments indeed.
    Now what's this about rules- i will have to read up as i'm sure i'm breakin them. :D

  • Amias says: April 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM

    Thanks RDL. Rules are made to be broken when having fun. I call it creativity.

  • Leo says: April 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM

    hey amias,

    i read ur comment! lolz..! i am not showing off! :D

    i love to try something new! so tried that style..! besides whats an acrostic without a little challenge?!

    glad that u liked it!

  • Amias says: April 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM

    I love them Leo .. you are right, acrostics are fun, and we can play with them very creatively.

    You do make it look easy! Me, I have to work so hard my mind ache, but in a good way.

Followers


© Copyrighted 2008 by Amias. I can’t copyright words, but I can copyright how I conjoined them, whether they are in poetry, prose, story, or article formats. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 1998-2009 by Linda Jones Malonson a.k.a. Amias.